A Declaration of Independence from Trump America
The proud “deplorables” are killing our citizens and country with ignorance
The MAGA refusal to vaccinate is the last straw.
No more Mister Nice Liberal. No more liberal empathy, trying to understand these people. No more patronizing or condescending them, bless their hearts, poor dears, they know not what they do.
Because if you ask them, they do know what they do, which is rebelling against The Government, The Establishment and The Powers That Be, like the “hippies” of the sixties their parents reviled.
The difference — or maybe not — is that the MAGAs are now running the country. They’re the dog that caught the car and have no idea what to do with it. They despise government but could never govern our country better; if you look at the Capitol rioters, many can barely govern their own lives.
That’s fine — until their rebellion without a clue causes innocent people to sicken and die, and families and friends to lose loved ones.
So I’m over and done with the MAGAs. They are irredeemable. Trying to reason with them evokes the old quip about wrestling with a pig: You both get filthy and the pig likes it.
But we all know it’s hard to let go.
To quote the 20th century philosopher Neil Sedaka:
Down dooby doo down down
Comma, comma, down dooby doo down down
Comma, comma, down dooby doo down down
Breaking up is hard to do.
It is. So I turned to the greatest breakup text in American history: The Declaration of Independence.
To insult Thomas Jefferson & Co. with my paraphrasing:
The history of the loyal subjects of the present exiled King of America is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.
To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world:
· They elected the worst president ever, who — as sentient people could have been predicted — deliberately and tragically downplayed and hubristically mishandled for his selfish and preening reelection purposes a highly contagious and deadly 100-year pandemic, causing more Americans to needlessly sicken and die than any reasonably competent president would permit.
· They personally super-spread Covid-19 and killed or sickened countless fellow Americans — especially the elderly and unwell — by sneering at medical science, calling the disease a liberal government and media hoax.
· Like ornery defiant children, they refused to mask and distance just because the government asked them to. They declared, “It’s no worse than the flu,” and, “Nobody I know has it,” until friends, neighbors and loved ones began to succumb, suffer, suffocate and die. We may never know how many fellow Americans the Covid-19 deniers killed, or how heavily it must weigh on their consciences if they care.
· Then, for the conscientious to avoid shame, instead of admitting they were wrong and making amends, they blamed the mainstream media for being untrustworthy — because their #1 cable network Fox told them its media competitors were— so they didn’t trust the mainstream media warnings about the pandemic.
· They raged and rioted against the pandemic shutdowns while extending the shutdowns by spreading the pandemic. They jeered public health officials for desperately trying to control and defeat the disease and save lives. They showed little concern for the low-paid, front-line healthcare workers who PTSD’d and even died as they struggled to save lives that stubbornly refused to save their own.
· When medical science pulled out the stops to develop Covid-19 vaccines, end the pandemic and reopen America, they gave the pandemic a new lease on death by refusing to get the shots. Now they’re outraged that the government says we need to mask again primarily because their refusal to vaccinate has bred and spread the more contagious Delta variant.
· They cite all manner of cockamamie and wholly debunked bunk about Covid-19 vaccinations from their internet “research,” which typically is from laughably dubious “sources” that confirm their misinformed bias that makes them smarter than educated and trained epidemiologists.
· Dr. Michael Saag, professor of medicine and infectious diseases and virology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, has heard them all as the Cotton State is last vaccinations at 35%: “The vaccines are experimental.” “I am young and healthy; I don’t need the vaccine.” “So what if I get covid?” “The epidemic is over.” “The vaccine will destroy my fertility.” “The vaccine is a government plot.” “I have the freedom to choose.” “Nobody can tell me what to do.” “The doctors are lying to me.”
· By spreading this nonsense that spreads the disease, they’ve sickened and maybe killed their social media “friends” by falling for and posting obvious and deliberate vax misinformation and disinformation, some from Russia intended to hurt America, which they declare they love more than anyone.
· While attacking the libs for being sheep, they re-bleat right-wing media vax bleating that panders to and excites the easily riled for billions in advertising lucre to pay their multimillionaire “personalities” who laugh all the way to the bank as they fool and fuel the resentments of their poor dumb suckers. (And got their shots.)
· They claim to be smarter than scientists because college doesn’t make you smart, in fact it makes you stupid because the Socialist liberal professors brainwash you to hate America, Whites, and Confederate heroes who sent poor lads to slaughter to protect slavery on the Confederate heroes’ plantations. The not college-educated feeding on a steady diet of college-educated Fox and right-wing media are too smart to be brainwashed, they say.
· They’re mean. They love a vicious smackdown that “owns the libs” even though the libs laugh at their usual clumsy attempts. They think bitter sarcasm is humor, so Gutfeld! is funnier than Seinfeld. Like classic bullies, they demand the freedom to spout insults — often with the courage of anonymity — and not be held accountable for their words, lest they melt like a snowball in hell, cry “cancel culture!” and weep that it’s the liberals who are bullies.
· When their nastiness is challenged, they quickly whatabout the libs, essentially endorsing whatever the libs are doing that they hate.
· They are the reason why the King of America acts like a king. They are the reason why the King gets away with obvious lying, cheating, stealing, bullying, gaslighting and like a reverse Midas, destroying all he touches. They are the reason why the Republican Party bends over backwards and forwards (you know what I mean) to please the King. They are the reason why the Republican Congress plays ostrich with every obvious high crime and misdemeanor by the King, including His attempt to steal the election and his incitement of the terrorist attack on the Capitol and our democracy to cling to power like a desperate tin-pot despot.
· They are the reason why the hoard of stupid idiots attacked our Capitol, fought and killed Blue Lives they love more than the stupid libs do. In fact, their lawyers defend them as stupid idiots who merely followed their King like sheep and didn’t know any better, the poor dears. While their King also says it’s not his fault. So Jan. 6 was nobody’s fault, which sounds pretty liberal to me.
· They are the reason why the King and his political suckerfish are still selling the “Big Lie” that the election was stolen. They are the reason why the King’s Republican states are restricting and redistricting, i.e., rigging the vote, in the oxymoronic spin of “voter integrity,” so the King’s White Republicans can cling to power in the increasingly not White America.
· They are making America nastier with their online venom and invective sadly expressing poorly written and reasoned hate for their fellow Americans who disagree with or are not like them. The only upside is they’ve lifted the rock from their wormy racism, bigotry, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, xenophobia, nativism, and general hate. They also reveal the failing of America’s public grade schools to teach basic history, civics, and English such as spelling, grammar and punctuation.
· They hate immigrants even though America is a nation of immigrants and they’re only in America and enjoy the fruits of our freedoms because their families were immigrants. Or maybe they just hate immigrants who aren’t White.
· They are the reason why our political system is in shambles and America is no longer Reagan’s “Shining City on a Hill,” which they don’t realize was cribbed from Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount.
· They claim to love God and Jesus more than anyone. They send prayers when their gun freedom slaughters White suburban school children but slam liberals when it slaughters Black urban school children. They want government to control reproduction in the name of God while they hate government intrusion in their lives. While God sayeth, “Thou shalt have no other gods before Me,” they love and follow their King like He’s God, even though he’s notoriously godless. Pride, greed, lust, envy, gluttony, wrath, and sloth — name a deadly sin and he’s been there, done that.
In my Declaration of Independence from the American King’s minions, to misquote the original, I must, therefore, solemnly publish and declare that I am absolved from having any respect for His deplorables. For their long train of abuses and usurpations is quite literally hurting our country and fellow citizens.
Jeffrey Denny is a Washington writer.